Learn how to clean dull and tarnished silver jewelry at home with these easy and affordable tips. Your favorite pieces will be sparkling again in no time!
- Buff – Often, just a soft buff with a chamois or our microfiber storage bag is all jewelry needs to bring back its shine.
- Soap and Water - Just like us, our jewelry needs to be cleaned. often jewelry can get a little dull looking from accumulated oils and even dead skin cells. Use a mild soap or mild dish detergent (the milder the better), lukewarm water, and a clean soft-bristled toothbrush. Be sure to dry your jewelry right away with a soft cotton cloth.
- Polishing Cloth. This is our personal favourite, there is something so satisfying about watching the black come off your jewelry and onto your polishing cloth. These are a microfiber cloth impregnated with a dry silver polishing compound. We sell our logo cloths, and also love the Sunshine cloths™. Please note that these are NOT recommended on gold-plated jewelry.
- DIY cleaning solutions – you can clean your silver with some basic household items: Aluminum foil, baking soda, boiling water, and a glass bowl. First, line the glass bowl with the aluminum foil shiny side up. Add your silver jewelry (no gemstones, silver only), sprinkle with a decent covering of baking soda, then add enough boiling water to fully immerse the jewelry. This will start bubbling. Once the bubbling stops, you can recharge with more baking soda if you need to. Wait until the water has cooled before removing. Rinse with lukewarm water and dry with a soft cotton cloth.
* side note: I have heard that adding vinegar to this mix can supercharge it, and will do some experimenting and report back.
So now that you know the best ways to clean your silver jewelry, it’s time to get cleaning! Be sure to follow us for more great tips on how to take care of your favorite pieces. And if you have any questions or suggestions, we’d love to hear from you in the comments below.